Friday, November 18, 2016

Surviving the War

"Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible."
-Maya Angelou 

In 1942 Japanese people were forced from their homes into internment camps.  Seen as the enemy the government feared that Japanese people would help sabotage the war.  During this time thousands of people were forced from their homes into conditions that were inhumane and unjust.  Two thirds of the people forced into camps were American citizens- including my grandmother and her siblings.


To avoid being taken away my great grandfather moved the family to Sacramento. Not knowing where or when they would be back they had a family friend watch over the house.

"My father had a business on Franklin Street and the next door neighbor was a shoe repair guy. He was a young Italian. So they took over the house. You know, they took care of the house."

My great grandfather's other underground business may have been what helped keep them safe during this traumatic time.

"He bought the police. Because when we went to camp a lot of Japanese got hauled in.  The people who had businesses and they were sent to Crystal City in Texas.They were the ones dragged in by the FBI. They just grabbed them and took them in.  You know my father I'm sure bought the police. You know we never had any trouble at all. They never came to our house."

My grandmother's family was initially placed in Tule Lake in Northern California. Today this is perhaps one of the most well known camps because of its notorious reputation.  Groups within the camp protested and rebelled against their living conditions and treatment. One of the protesters was my great uncle.

The internment camps were surrounded by barb wire and armed guards

"Joji was really kinda on the threshold there. He thought we're being treated badly. Why should I be loyal to the U.S.? You know? So my father went and got him and says, "Don't say that. No matter what you're thinking.  Just say the opposite.  That you like it here.""

Tule Lake, CA
As protests and resistance amplified so did tensions around camp.  The United States government began to have all Japanese people sign a loyalty oath- proclaiming their loyalty to the United States.  Those who refused to sign were to stay at Tule Lake which became a holding place specifically for disloyals.

Though my great grandfather disagreed with their treatment he had to protect his family first.  He struggled to find common ground with his son Joji who was convinced that they should go back to Japan.

"So my father pulled him out of there and told him, " No, no, no you're not gonna do that. Cause we're gonna stay here. They're not gonna treat us any better if we go to Japan cause you're an American.""

My great grandfather thought that if he could get Joji out of camp then he could keep him out of trouble where he could be safe.  He came up with the plan for him to marry the woman he was dating.

"My father went to talk to May's mother and says, I think they should get married otherwise Joji is going to get dragged into those people."

"So that's what happened.  My father went to the PX and bought a wedding set."

After signing the loyalty oath my grandmother's family was moved to Granada, Colorado by train where they spent the remainder of the war at Camp Amache.  Meanwhile during all of this they were sleeping on mats made of hay and going to schools that were haphazardly put together.

"It was a total mess up.  You only got Pass or Not Pass. P or NP. You didn't get grades because they didn't know you."

"Until it was organized though my oldest brother was an algebra teacher. And those kind of people. And then it wasn't too long until they brought in a bunch of white people."

Life after camp was also hard.  Years of propaganda poisoned the minds of many.  Her experience with kids at school was mixed.  Some students were prejudice.

Propaganda during the war poisoned the minds of many and led to discrimination and segregation.
"Some were. You just avoided them that's all."

Others didn't even seem to know what was going on.

"Kids are so different from nowadays. Cause when I came back this girl she said, Geee! Where were you anyway.?" She had no idea there was a war either!"

Perhaps because her father was an adult he experienced more upfront hatred.

"Well you know we had this Philipino guy live down the street. He ignored us forever and ever and ever. And he was a barber. And my father tried to get a haircut. And he said, "No Japanese!" I mean they were friends before. Because he could hardly speak English and neither could my father. Then later on the guy comes over and apologizes and said I'm sorry I don't know what I'm doing anymore.  But this was forever later."

Propoganda during the war was quite common. Articles like this were even published in major magazines like TIME Maga

 Besides being denied services my great grandfather's businesses came to a halt.

"My father never worked afterwards. My mother used to work in the cannery. But you know she liked it because you know all the women worked in the cannery. It was a social thing."

My grandmother and her family continued life in Monterey.  My grandmother went onto graduate from college and met my grandfather at a friend's party. Dating for what my grandfather says, was a "long time" they eventually married in Reno.

My great grandfather died in 1956 and my great grandmother died in 1991. The Monterey house is still in my family.

My grandmother's family overcame many obstacles and I think there are many details about camp that I will never know.  When talking about visiting Tule Lake a long time ago she said she wished she hadn't. That it was too soon. I wonder if it will always be too soon.

It is my goal to visit Tule Lake with all of my cousins so we can physically see the place that is such a poignant part of my grandparent's life.

Though their struggles were severe I like to think their triumphs are a bigger part of who they are. They have taught me so many lessons just by leading by example.  The biggest being the power of a positive attitude, hard work and resiliency.  Even after such prejudice both my grandma and grandpa are joyful, happy and positive people.

I think that these attributes are what helped them get through camp and return to a world that resisted them.  And in my grandfather's case survive losing a father and a brother at a young age along with serving a country that initially treated him so terribly.

My grandfather's story is coming up next week.... Stay tuned...
My grandparent's wedding in Reno. I love how happy and goofy they look.
My grandmother's childhood home in Monterey. Pictured is my grandmother (being blocked), my Aunt Kim, my Aunt Suzanne and my great grandmother.

5 comments:

  1. I am so in love with your page. Your family has similar struggles that my family faced. I love all the pictures because it allows for me to make connections about their struggles and their way of living. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very sad story though, I'm happy that I can hear more details about their hardship during that time through their lived voices. It must have been so depressed and anxious to go through everything they faced. When I visited the California Museum, I was very impressed at the fact they tried to keep their own life style and autonomy even in the face of harsh environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captivating story! I think its amazing how you are retelling your family history through this blog. My grandma would always share and retell family stories and these stories help connect the younger generations of our family; it helps them be a part of something larger. Knowing your family history and where you come from is important - it binds us together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this made me think back to what i had learned about the internment camps. Not only that, but the fact that i do not remember learning about the extent of the internment camps until college. This is a point in time that had a profound affect on many families back then and still to this day. Unfortunately this topic has been skimmed over when it comes to U.S history and not many people know that it happened or to what extent. I love reading about your families history !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to believe this happened only a short time ago. Seems unthinkable now but I know that it is still possible. Thank for the engaging history lesson. I know that I do not know enough about this tragic time and agree with Jessica that in my experience it was not given the weight it deserves.

    ReplyDelete